Saturday, May 1, 2010

First Day in Ames

So I decided on a whim to head to Ames for the weekend. I thought with the semester ending soon, I'd see some professors. I was sure wrong - didn't get to see my major professor or another one of the professors I worked for that offered for me to do my PHD. Poor planning on my part. I guess I'll have to come out again later this summer if I can. I did see my old undergrad professor and had a great conversation with her. After talking with her, I did realize how many interesting things I have done for this company so far (the "real engineering" parts) that must be overshadowed by my negative attitude. She actually wanted to have me teach a session of one of her classes - showing the process we use (as much as I could) to make carbon fiber parts.

Visiting really makes me want to come back. There is so much more to do here than there is in Kearney. I just don't have any help making that decision. I made the decision to leave on my own, and it was the wrong one. I either need to pull my head out of my ass and watch carefully for external signs of what to do, or find someone who I respect to recommend something.

I might try and chat with my old professor about a wind turbine blade manufacturing project. I might have some leverage there having done some composites work now. Don't know, I don't plan on pleading for something, but if there's a great opportunity offered that really makes sense for me to help with, I might consider 3 more years back here at ISU. I tell you though, that'd put me at 30+ years old, and that's scary. But the improved chance of finding a girl I want to spend a lot of time with is weighing in heavily.








1 comment:

Paul said...

Ames is a great place to be! It would be great having you back!